Getting Married in Hawaii
What You Need to Know
By Lacy Varner
Everyone dreams of the perfect wedding. If you’ve decided that your idea of perfection includes a ceremony in Hawaii, here are a few things that you should know.
A Beach ceremony is usually the first
If you’re wanting the beach ambiance, but could do without the actual “sand between your toes” effect, there are plenty of ocean-view chapels or wedding sites to choose from. Or you could even select a botanical garden, boat, or underwater wedding. The possibilities are nearly endless!
But no matter what type of wedding you envision, we always recommend you take a scouting trip. Just consider it part of your wedding expenses! You want to make sure that everything will live up to your expectations.
Weather is always a factor for outdoor weddings, even in Hawaii. While I’m sure you’re aware that the 50th state is usually sunny, we do have a rainy season that runs from December-March. Each island also has a wetter/cooler side (facing North or East) and a hotter/drier side (facing South or West), commonly referred to as the windward and leeward sides respectively. Just be aware that if your location is on the windward side of the island, your chances of rain and passing showers are increased, particularly at night.
Regardless of what type of ceremony you are looking for, you will be able to find an officiant to meet your needs. All performers must be licensed with the State of Hawaii to perform marriages. If your performer is also registered online, it will make the paperwork portion much easier (see below).
A lot has been done in recent years to make more of the process available online. This is incredibly helpful for visitors.
You will need to obtain a marriage license from the State of Hawaii; this license is only valid for 30 days, so do not do it too early. You can complete most of the process online at http://marriage.ehawaii.gov, including the payment portion. But you will need to meet with an agent once you are on island in order to verify your identities and pick up the official license. Bring this form with you to your wedding.
After your wedding, your officiant is responsible for filing the completed form. If he/she is able to do this online, a temporary marriage certificate will be available for you to print 48 hours after it has been submitted. An official marriage certificate will be mailed to you within 30-120 days.
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Enjoy a Dolphin Duo package for 2 at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- $695+ Waikiki, Oahu January Sale: Get $100 off + FREE Convertible SUV or Minivan Rental
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $795+ Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa: 3 Nights with Air. Includes $100 off PLUS kids 12 & younger stay and eat free!
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Pearl
- Surf-inspired budget boutique hotel with free breakfast, Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki - $96
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- $669+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible SUV or Minivan Rental