Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Eat like a Local
By: Nicole Nguyen
When you think of the North Shore of Oahu, two things come to mind – high surf and breathtaking beaches. But what you might not know that the North Shore is also famous for its shrimp trucks. One of the oldest and mostpopular ones is Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck and it has served as a North Shore tradition for two decades. Fortunately for you, it’s a very convenient stop for lunch or dinner while touring this side of the island.
There are actually two Giovanni locations - one in Haleiwa and another in Kahuku (both on the North Shore). Customers can choose to take out or dine at each location; you will find several benches and tents set up in front of the trucks.
At first glance, the trucks look somewhat vandalized. But upon closer inspection, you’ll notice that they’re actually covered with signatures, drawings, and messages from all their customers. Giovanni’s is a huge hit for tourists and locals alike!
Giovanni’s menu is very basic and simple; it only consists of 4 items.
- Shrimp Scampi (their signature dish) – marinated in olive oil, chunks of garlic, and lemon butter.
- The “No Refunds” Hot and Spicy Shrimp – consider yourself warned in advance if you can’t handle it.
- Lemon/Butter Shrimp – sautéed in a lemon butter sauce to soak in the juicy flavor.
- Garlic Hot Dog – hot dog smothered in scampi sauce.
Each plate comes with about half a pound of shrimp in the shell, a lemon wedge, and two scoops of rice topped with their signature scampi sauce. And trust us. Once you taste this sauce, you’ll be hunting down every last drop on your plate, including sucking on shells! But if you feel daring enough and want to spice things up, you can also ask for a side of their special hot sauce. And don’t forget to get a fistful of napkins because you’re going to need it.
Keep in mind that Giovanni’s Shrimp Trucks close early. The best time to stop in is right after you finish exploring the North Shore. So the next time you’re visiting the island of Oahu, be sure to check out Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck after your beach session. You won’t regret it.
Good for Groups: Yes
66-472 Kamehameha Hwy
Haleiwa, HI 96712
Mon-Sun 10:30am – 5pm
56-505 Kamehameha Hwy
Kahuku, HI 96731
Mon-Sun 10:30am – 6:30pm
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Contemporary boutique hotel 1 block from Waikiki Beach, Aqua Palms Waikiki
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $275
- $715+ Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Beach Resort: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Midsize Car Rental PLUS kids 18 and younger stay FREE!
- From $895 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers, Daily Breakfast & Taxes
- From $929 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $679+ Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa: 3 Nights w/Air and FREE Midsize Car Rental PLUS kids 18 and younger stay FREE!
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $535+ Hawaii Vacations: 3-Night with Air & FREE Midsize Car Rental
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Aloha Special Reduced Rates starting at $149/night