Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Eat like a Local
By: Nicole Nguyen
When you think of the North Shore of Oahu, two things come to mind – high surf and breathtaking beaches. But what you might not know that the North Shore is also famous for its shrimp trucks. One of the oldest and mostpopular ones is Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck and it has served as a North Shore tradition for two decades. Fortunately for you, it’s a very convenient stop for lunch or dinner while touring this side of the island.
There are actually two Giovanni locations - one in Haleiwa and another in Kahuku (both on the North Shore). Customers can choose to take out or dine at each location; you will find several benches and tents set up in front of the trucks.
At first glance, the trucks look somewhat vandalized. But upon closer inspection, you’ll notice that they’re actually covered with signatures, drawings, and messages from all their customers. Giovanni’s is a huge hit for tourists and locals alike!
Giovanni’s menu is very basic and simple; it only consists of 4 items.
- Shrimp Scampi (their signature dish) – marinated in olive oil, chunks of garlic, and lemon butter.
- The “No Refunds” Hot and Spicy Shrimp – consider yourself warned in advance if you can’t handle it.
- Lemon/Butter Shrimp – sautéed in a lemon butter sauce to soak in the juicy flavor.
- Garlic Hot Dog – hot dog smothered in scampi sauce.
Each plate comes with about half a pound of shrimp in the shell, a lemon wedge, and two scoops of rice topped with their signature scampi sauce. And trust us. Once you taste this sauce, you’ll be hunting down every last drop on your plate, including sucking on shells! But if you feel daring enough and want to spice things up, you can also ask for a side of their special hot sauce. And don’t forget to get a fistful of napkins because you’re going to need it.
Keep in mind that Giovanni’s Shrimp Trucks close early. The best time to stop in is right after you finish exploring the North Shore. So the next time you’re visiting the island of Oahu, be sure to check out Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck after your beach session. You won’t regret it.
Good for Groups: Yes
66-472 Kamehameha Hwy
Haleiwa, HI 96712
Mon-Sun 10:30am – 5pm
56-505 Kamehameha Hwy
Kahuku, HI 96731
Mon-Sun 10:30am – 6:30pm
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Enjoy a Dolphin Duo package for 2 at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
- From $920 - Oahu & Kauai Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Soundproof rooms, Jacuzzi tubs, continental breakfast and more at Aqua Waikiki Joy Hotel - $132
- Free Unlimited Golf in October for guests of Turtle Bay - Play as many rounds as you want on either of our championship courses!
- From $1,041 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Kauai Vacation w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709