Hiking Kapena Falls
RASA’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURES: The Best, Most Family-Friendly Trails on Oahu
By RASA FOURNIER
The mammoth boulders, leaves bigger than me and thousands of banyan tentacles swallowing the hillside and dangling from above, give the trail to Kapena Falls a Jurassic feel. When
It was also the neighborhood hangout for adventurous teens when I was growing up. Our stomachs lifted to our throats as we swung off ropes or plummeted from various levels of cliffs (one 40 feet high) into the dark, cool waters. The place still attracts adrenaline-seekers, particularly on weekends, so I chose a recent weekday morning to revisit my childhood haunt. The stroll to the modest 15-foot waterfall begins at a nondescript clump of tall, dry grass. A few steps in and I’m enclosed in a thick forest canopy that makes Pali Highway and busy Nuuanu Avenue, which are just yards away, suddenly belong to another century.
A clear path happens upon clusters of rocks that demand clambering over on all fours. Ancient Hawaiian petroglyphs can be seen just several feet into the path in a small cave on the left, protected by metal bars. Once an obtrusive wall of grass obstructs the path, part it with both hands and trudge right through, even as bits of detritus land in your face, because the large pool, waterfall and cliffs are just ahead.
The place has seen some wear-and-tear since I was a kid, with some of the prominent trees in the area, which we used to swing from, having long ago succumbed to decay. Particularly noticeable is the graffiti that's run amok over a pile of boulders fronting the Falls. That quickly time warps one back to the present century. It’s still a fun oasis in the middle of Honolulu city, whether as a quiet, reflective stroll on a weekday, or a lively place with shouts and splashing water as youths fling themselves off the highest cliff, trying to out-stylize each other with every manner of creative leap.
TRAIL: Kapena Falls Trail?
LENGTH: .5 mile?s round trip
HOW TO GET THERE: From Downtown Honolulu, go up Nuuanu Avenue, turn right into Nuuanu Memorial Park and Mortuary. Follow the road as it winds to the right toward a small traffic circle and then heads left, ending in a small parking lot. The unmarked trailhead is at the dead end, on the left.
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Pearl
- Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $286
- Contemporary boutique hotel 1 block from Waikiki Beach, Aqua Palms Waikiki
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
- Breathtaking views at Honolulu's tallest hotel, Aqua Skyline at Island Colony - just $89
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Waikiki's best value, Maile Sky Court - $113
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Aloha Special Reduced Rates starting at $149/night
- $535+ Hawaii Vacations: 3-Night with Air & FREE Midsize Car Rental
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385