Hiking Kapena Falls
RASA’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURES: The Best, Most Family-Friendly Trails on Oahu
By RASA FOURNIER
The mammoth boulders, leaves bigger than me and thousands of banyan tentacles swallowing the hillside and dangling from above, give the trail to Kapena Falls a Jurassic feel. When
It was also the neighborhood hangout for adventurous teens when I was growing up. Our stomachs lifted to our throats as we swung off ropes or plummeted from various levels of cliffs (one 40 feet high) into the dark, cool waters. The place still attracts adrenaline-seekers, particularly on weekends, so I chose a recent weekday morning to revisit my childhood haunt. The stroll to the modest 15-foot waterfall begins at a nondescript clump of tall, dry grass. A few steps in and I’m enclosed in a thick forest canopy that makes Pali Highway and busy Nuuanu Avenue, which are just yards away, suddenly belong to another century.
A clear path happens upon clusters of rocks that demand clambering over on all fours. Ancient Hawaiian petroglyphs can be seen just several feet into the path in a small cave on the left, protected by metal bars. Once an obtrusive wall of grass obstructs the path, part it with both hands and trudge right through, even as bits of detritus land in your face, because the large pool, waterfall and cliffs are just ahead.
The place has seen some wear-and-tear since I was a kid, with some of the prominent trees in the area, which we used to swing from, having long ago succumbed to decay. Particularly noticeable is the graffiti that's run amok over a pile of boulders fronting the Falls. That quickly time warps one back to the present century. It’s still a fun oasis in the middle of Honolulu city, whether as a quiet, reflective stroll on a weekday, or a lively place with shouts and splashing water as youths fling themselves off the highest cliff, trying to out-stylize each other with every manner of creative leap.
TRAIL: Kapena Falls Trail?
LENGTH: .5 mile?s round trip
HOW TO GET THERE: From Downtown Honolulu, go up Nuuanu Avenue, turn right into Nuuanu Memorial Park and Mortuary. Follow the road as it winds to the right toward a small traffic circle and then heads left, ending in a small parking lot. The unmarked trailhead is at the dead end, on the left.
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- $649+ Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Beach Resort: 3 Nights with Air. Includes FREE midsize car PLUS kids 18 & under stay free!
- $805+ Moana Surfrider - A Westin Resort & Spa: 3 nights w/air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental, daily breakfast, mai tais daily & More!
- DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel - $249
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- From $920 - Oahu & Kauai Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- From $1,112 - Oahu Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Vacation w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Affordable suites in the Heart of Waikiki, Hokele Suites Waikiki - 15% Off Best Available Rate
- From $1,245 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709