Aloha Festivals Waikiki Hoolaulea
By Caroline Wright
The Aloha Festivals are known internationally as a celebration of the traditions and customs of Hawaii's unique, diverse islands. Each is known and beloved for its own very special attractions and delights.
The crown jewel of the Aloha Festivals is
The Hoolaulea has been known for a stellar lineup of some of Hawaii's very best music and hula for 59 years. As this year's event coordinators work to finalize the schedule, they'll find it hard to top the 2010 bill, which included island favorites like Kapena, Teresa Bright, the Makaha Sons, Ten Feet, Kelly DeLima and Ohana, the Ka`ala Boys, Kawika Trask, Kupaoa, and an electrifying concert by songstress Sistah Robi Kahakalau and guitarist/vocalist Jeff Rasmussen. However, the 2011 festival theme is Island Music, so this will likely be a very special year for the Hoolaulea.
A few things worth mentioning for the 2011 event: The Royal Hawaiian Center will host a Beer Garden, with tables and chairs for thirsty revelers. Hawaiian-made crafts will be available, and last year's festival-goers enjoyed local treats like Kalua pig, teriyaki chicken, lau lau, and chicken long rice from some of the islands' favorite restaurants and mobile vendors. Very young children might find it all a little intimidating, but the Hoolaulea is an annual tradition for many families, according to event spokesperson Nicole Fuertes.
"There are food and craft vendors, and a lot of hula halaus perform, so local families come to support them," Fuertes says. "All of the Aloha Festivals events beautifully illustrate Hawaii, and what its culture and traditions are all about."
This longstanding, much-loved event is a perfect welcome to the island community, a chance to meet and befriend the people who live here. Come and say "aloha"!
Aloha Festivals Waikiki Hoolaulea
Date: September 17, 2011, 7:00-10:00 p.m.
Location: Kalakaua Avenue between Lewers Street and Kapahulu Avenue
Hot Tip: Bring mats or folding chairs to sit on (event is generally SRO); park at the Honolulu Zoo or Royal Hawaiian Center and walk to Kalakaua
Robi & Jeff: http://youtu.be/pCFCUdqk9pQ
Random Scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZjc5FP59c
More Random Scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmzlnXaMhCM
95.5 The Fish Stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqu9j7Vsgnw&feature=related
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- From $1,198 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Maui Package w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Aqua Queen Kapiolani Hotel, adjacent to Waikiki Aquarium, Kapiolani Park, & Honolulu Zoo
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Pearl
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- From $1,055 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Go Oahu Card: 36 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% on the best of Oahu now!
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $275
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- SAVE Manta Ray Snorkel or World’s Only Glass Bottom Manta Watch @ BlueSeaCruisesInc.com 2 Manta tours
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $179/night
- $130 & Up - 350+ Maui & Kauai Condos 35% OFF in March or April
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- $1,099+ Hawaii 4-Star Vacations w/Air, Breakfast & Extras