Wai'anapanapa State Park
Wai'anapanapa means "glistening waters." A natural stone arch, blowhole, and hiking along two sections of the old King's Highway are features of this beautiful state park. King's Highway was once a footpath that encircled the island and connected all the villages.
A fresh water pool located in acave within the park is the subject of a tragic Hawaiian legend. The story goes that Popo'alaea, a beautiful princess, fled from her cruel husband and hid in the cave. When her husband was searching for her, he stopped at the cave for water. While his men were resting, they saw Popo'alaea's reflection in the water. She was sitting on a small rock in the underwater cave, being fanned by her handmaiden and unaware that danger was so close. Her husband dove into the pool, entered the cave, and killed them. To this day, the pool's water is said to turn red on the anniversary of her death.
Three miles from the center of Hana, Wai'anapanapa offers camping facilities in spartan cabins that will accommodate up to six people, or in a tents-only campground. The cabins are very popular and it is sometimes difficult to secure reservations for them. Permits are required for camping in the tents-only area and no exceptions are made, so come prepared. Permits are issued at the Hawaii State Office Building at 54 High Street in Wailuku, phone 984-8109.
- $525+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Meet a Dolphin Face-to-Face with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- $695+ Aston Kaanapali Shores: 3-night Studio w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz car rental upgrade PLUS Kids 12 & under stay, play & eat FREE!
- 3 Night Beauty and the Beach package at Kaanapali Beach Hotel: room, car, massage, breakfast, cabana and more - $937
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- From $1,559 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 3-night Whale Encounter Package from $907
- From $1,675 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
- 5th Night Free in your Maui Condo!
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- From $1,165 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - special rates from just $169!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers