Wai'anapanapa State Park
Wai'anapanapa means "glistening waters." A natural stone arch, blowhole, and hiking along two sections of the old King's Highway are features of this beautiful state park. King's Highway was once a footpath that encircled the island and connected all the villages.
A fresh water pool located in acave within the park is the subject of a tragic Hawaiian legend. The story goes that Popo'alaea, a beautiful princess, fled from her cruel husband and hid in the cave. When her husband was searching for her, he stopped at the cave for water. While his men were resting, they saw Popo'alaea's reflection in the water. She was sitting on a small rock in the underwater cave, being fanned by her handmaiden and unaware that danger was so close. Her husband dove into the pool, entered the cave, and killed them. To this day, the pool's water is said to turn red on the anniversary of her death.
Three miles from the center of Hana, Wai'anapanapa offers camping facilities in spartan cabins that will accommodate up to six people, or in a tents-only campground. The cabins are very popular and it is sometimes difficult to secure reservations for them. Permits are required for camping in the tents-only area and no exceptions are made, so come prepared. Permits are issued at the Hawaii State Office Building at 54 High Street in Wailuku, phone 984-8109.
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Aloha Special Reduced Rates starting at $149/night
- $525+ Hawaii Vacations: 3 Nights with Air & FREE Convertible Rental
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Royal Lahaina Experience Pkg with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $340/nt
- From $1,357 - Hyatt Hotel in Maui 5-Night Package incl. Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- $559+ Maui 3 nights with Air and Car. Includes FREE Convertible and Luxury Car Rental.
- Escape the ordinary at the luxurious Hotel Wailea Maui
- From $865 - 6 Night Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- From $793 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Hotel, Transfers & Taxes. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1287
- From $859 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Taxes, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Save 25% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Lahaina Resort
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers