Upcountry Maui: Home of the Paniolo
Fourth of July weekend is a big deal in Makawao. Maui County holds its yearly parade here and the local Roping Club hosts Hawaii's biggest rodeo of the year.
More and more though, Makawao is shedding its Wild West image to reflect the multi-cultural origins of Maui's newest wave of inhabitants; artists and musicians, spiritual healers, teachers and seekers, alternative health professionals, herbalists, acupuncturists, body workers, naturopathic and holistic physicians.
A bookstore in the center of town serves as a gateway to this vital alternative community. Spiritual counselors are available daily for readings in the store that brims with books, and there are CDs and gifts for adventurous and inquiring minds.
One of the island's best-loved Italian restaurants shares the town's only crossroads with a Mexican tavern and a wholesome food cafe with many vegetarian dishes. Here, too, you will find some of the island's most romantic residences nestled between eucalyptus trees or overlooking a picturesque horse pasture. If you take the time to mingle with local folks, they might tell you where to find that magic trail in the forest or that hidden waterfall.
Spend some time sipping cappuccino on the porch of the local deli, overlooking the town's traffic. That's what everybody else does when they want to know the latest gossip in the community. Only a mile and a half off the highway to Haleakala and six miles from the road to Hana, Makawao is a good place to discover the pulse of Maui.
- Save 20% when you add breakfast & car to your stay at Royal Lahaina Resort
- Royal Lahaina Resort Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE 5"X7" Portrait
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort - $269
- From $968 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- 3 Night Beauty and the Beach package at Kaanapali Beach Hotel: room, car, massage, breakfast, cabana and more - $942
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Escape the ordinary at the luxurious Hotel Wailea Maui
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $179 per night
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- $639+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan Rental