History and Culture
Maui honors its past, amidst its natural beauty and visitor attractions. The chapters in Maui’s history are well documented and each culture weaves the fabric of today’s experiences.
Lahaina is a town of major historical significance. Once the first capitol of the Kingdom ofHawaii, a busy whaling port, and a plantation settlement, you can still walk in the footsteps of Lahaina’s past.?The Lahaina Historic Trail, is a self-guided tour throughout Lahaina’s historic districts. The Baldwin Home was the two-story house of Protestant missionaries in the mid-1830s. Anachronistic structures like the Wo Hing Temple and the Lahaina Jodo Mission highlight the influences of Chinese and Japanese immigrants in Maui.
Famous aviator Charles Lindbergh was laid to rest in 1974 in an isolated cemetery on the slopes of Haleakala, 12 miles beyond Hana, in Kipahulu. This simple gravesite of the man who in 1927, became the first aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic, is an oasis of gentle peace and quiet. The cemetery is located next to the Palapala Ho`omau Church, a limestone and coral structure which was built in 1857.
Life takes on a simpler nature in places like Upcountry Maui and towns like Makawao. Sprawling ranches and the paniolos (cowboys) who still work them today, have an important place in Maui history, along with plantations and missionaries.
|A Jail That Takes No Prisoners||Arts on Maui|
|Bailey House Museum||Hula Shows on Maui|
|Maui's Historic Churches||Upcountry Maui: Home of the Paniolo|
|Visit a Former Rubber Plantation||Visit a Legendary Aviator's Final Resting Place|
|When Sugar was King...|
- $639+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan Rental
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- $619+ Maui 3 nights w/Air. Save up to $100 per Booking!
- From $1,340 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
- From $1,215 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Free Unlimited Golf in October for guests of Turtle Bay - Play as many rounds as you want on either of our championship courses!
- From $895 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Royal Lahaina Experience Pkg with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $335/nt
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Escape the ordinary at the luxurious Hotel Wailea Maui
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers