History and Culture
Maui honors its past, amidst its natural beauty and visitor attractions. The chapters in Maui’s history are well documented and each culture weaves the fabric of today’s experiences.
Lahaina is a town of major historical significance. Once the first capitol of the Kingdom ofHawaii, a busy whaling port, and a plantation settlement, you can still walk in the footsteps of Lahaina’s past.?The Lahaina Historic Trail, is a self-guided tour throughout Lahaina’s historic districts. The Baldwin Home was the two-story house of Protestant missionaries in the mid-1830s. Anachronistic structures like the Wo Hing Temple and the Lahaina Jodo Mission highlight the influences of Chinese and Japanese immigrants in Maui.
Famous aviator Charles Lindbergh was laid to rest in 1974 in an isolated cemetery on the slopes of Haleakala, 12 miles beyond Hana, in Kipahulu. This simple gravesite of the man who in 1927, became the first aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic, is an oasis of gentle peace and quiet. The cemetery is located next to the Palapala Ho`omau Church, a limestone and coral structure which was built in 1857.
Life takes on a simpler nature in places like Upcountry Maui and towns like Makawao. Sprawling ranches and the paniolos (cowboys) who still work them today, have an important place in Maui history, along with plantations and missionaries.
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- $555+ Hawaii Vacations: 3 Nights with Air & FREE midsize rental or roundtrip transfers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- From $1,159 - Hyatt Hotel in Maui 5-Night Package incl. Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- From $1,029 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 2015 Simply Simple Package for just $757
- Escape the ordinary at the luxurious Hotel Wailea Maui
- Save 25% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Lahaina Resort
- From $1,219 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
- $595+ Maui 3 nights w/Air. FREE midsize Car Rental at select resorts.
- $835+ Aston Ka'anapali Shores: 3 Nights with air & car. Includes FREE midsize rental, PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE!
- Royal Lahaina Experience Pkg with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $335/nt
- From $1,047 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers