History and Culture
Maui honors its past, amidst its natural beauty and visitor attractions. The chapters in Maui’s history are well documented and each culture weaves the fabric of today’s experiences.
Lahaina is a town of major historical significance. Once the first capitol of the Kingdom ofHawaii, a busy whaling port, and a plantation settlement, you can still walk in the footsteps of Lahaina’s past.?The Lahaina Historic Trail, is a self-guided tour throughout Lahaina’s historic districts. The Baldwin Home was the two-story house of Protestant missionaries in the mid-1830s. Anachronistic structures like the Wo Hing Temple and the Lahaina Jodo Mission highlight the influences of Chinese and Japanese immigrants in Maui.
Famous aviator Charles Lindbergh was laid to rest in 1974 in an isolated cemetery on the slopes of Haleakala, 12 miles beyond Hana, in Kipahulu. This simple gravesite of the man who in 1927, became the first aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic, is an oasis of gentle peace and quiet. The cemetery is located next to the Palapala Ho`omau Church, a limestone and coral structure which was built in 1857.
Life takes on a simpler nature in places like Upcountry Maui and towns like Makawao. Sprawling ranches and the paniolos (cowboys) who still work them today, have an important place in Maui history, along with plantations and missionaries.
|A Jail That Takes No Prisoners||Arts on Maui|
|Bailey House Museum||Hula Shows on Maui|
|Maui's Historic Churches||Upcountry Maui: Home of the Paniolo|
|Visit a Former Rubber Plantation||Visit a Legendary Aviator's Final Resting Place|
|When Sugar was King...|
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- $1,229+ Grand Wailea: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV! Kids 18 & younger stay FREE.
- To truly experience Hawaii, you must see it from above! Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours from $149
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Lahaina Resort - FREE Portrait
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - Best Rate Guarantee!
- Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas - $219
- Don't leave Hawaii without trying surfing - lessons for all skill levels.
- Aston Kaanapali Shores - $219
- Aston Maui Hill - $199
- Take a submarine tour and experience the beauty of Hawaii below the water!
- Room & Car Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $204 per night
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers