Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
It was windsurfing that put Maui on today’s extreme sports map. In the late 1980s, windsurfers from throughout the world discovered Ho`okipa Beach in Pa`ia. The sport had been around since the ‘50s,but it didn’t take off until Ho`okipa and O`ahu-born, windsurfing legend Robby Naish came on the scene.
The beach’s big waves and near-perfect offshore winds, redefined the sport and Naish became its world-champion ambassador. Ho`okipa is not the only place on Maui to windsurf, but it’s the best.
The newest big-thrill, high-skill watersport on Maui is kitesurfing. Sometimes called the synergistic offspring of windsurfing, wake boarding and paragliding, kitesurfing requires a high degree of water confidence and a good understanding of kite flying skills.
Open ocean paddling can be a strenuous challenge better left to the experienced, physically fit kayaker. That said, there are plenty of opportunities for novice paddlers to take a trip in Maui’s waters. Kayak operators conduct easy to moderate tours through some of the island’s most inviting seascapes in environments well known for abundance of marine life.
Many tours depart from West Maui beaches and move through marine reserves in the Kapalua/Ka`anapali area. Another top spot is Molokini Crater, where kayakers anchor at the crater and snorkel the delightful depths around Maui.
You could say Maui is a neatly arranged pile of inhabited lava rock surrounded by a huge, churning playground of sapphire-blue water. That playground, Maui's wedge of the vast Pacific, offers a venue for all manner of activities, and has given rise to mini-adventures like parasailing.
This is not a complicated undertaking. You book a ride with a parasailing company that will take you out on a boat, from which you will be attached to a towline and a parachute. As the towline is released, you'll soar into the sky. This is a quick thrill. You'll probably be back in the boat in 7 to 14 minutes depending on the ride you choose.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $318/nt
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1415
- Book early and SAVE! 15% OFF Early-Bird Peak Season 2014 Maui Vacation Rentals
- Reel in the 'Big One.' Maui Sportfishing
- Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach - $299
- Maui Condo/Car packages from as low as $99.75/day
- Take a guided kayak tour in Maui's pristine waters.
- Room & Breakfast Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $201 per night
- 5th Night Free in your Maui Condo!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $169 per night
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!