Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
It was windsurfing that put Maui on today’s extreme sports map. In the late 1980s, windsurfers from throughout the world discovered Ho`okipa Beach in Pa`ia. The sport had been around since the ‘50s,but it didn’t take off until Ho`okipa and O`ahu-born, windsurfing legend Robby Naish came on the scene.
The beach’s big waves and near-perfect offshore winds, redefined the sport and Naish became its world-champion ambassador. Ho`okipa is not the only place on Maui to windsurf, but it’s the best.
The newest big-thrill, high-skill watersport on Maui is kitesurfing. Sometimes called the synergistic offspring of windsurfing, wake boarding and paragliding, kitesurfing requires a high degree of water confidence and a good understanding of kite flying skills.
Open ocean paddling can be a strenuous challenge better left to the experienced, physically fit kayaker. That said, there are plenty of opportunities for novice paddlers to take a trip in Maui’s waters. Kayak operators conduct easy to moderate tours through some of the island’s most inviting seascapes in environments well known for abundance of marine life.
Many tours depart from West Maui beaches and move through marine reserves in the Kapalua/Ka`anapali area. Another top spot is Molokini Crater, where kayakers anchor at the crater and snorkel the delightful depths around Maui.
You could say Maui is a neatly arranged pile of inhabited lava rock surrounded by a huge, churning playground of sapphire-blue water. That playground, Maui's wedge of the vast Pacific, offers a venue for all manner of activities, and has given rise to mini-adventures like parasailing.
This is not a complicated undertaking. You book a ride with a parasailing company that will take you out on a boat, from which you will be attached to a towline and a parachute. As the towline is released, you'll soar into the sky. This is a quick thrill. You'll probably be back in the boat in 7 to 14 minutes depending on the ride you choose.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- $869+ The Westin Maui Resort & Spa: 3 nights w/Air and FREE one-category Hertz Rental Upgrade, breakfast for two and kids 17 & under stay FREE!
- From $1,559 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Spot a Dolphin! Hop on a Maui Dolphin Watch.
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- From $1,675 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
- Reel in the 'Big One.' Maui Sportfishing
- Take a guided kayak tour in Maui's pristine waters.
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - special rates from just $169!
- From $1,165 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $169 per night
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Meet a Dolphin Face-to-Face with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- $539+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!