Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
It was windsurfing that put Maui on today’s extreme sports map. In the late 1980s, windsurfers from throughout the world discovered Ho`okipa Beach in Pa`ia. The sport had been around since the ‘50s,but it didn’t take off until Ho`okipa and O`ahu-born, windsurfing legend Robby Naish came on the scene.
The beach’s big waves and near-perfect offshore winds, redefined the sport and Naish became its world-champion ambassador. Ho`okipa is not the only place on Maui to windsurf, but it’s the best.
The newest big-thrill, high-skill watersport on Maui is kitesurfing. Sometimes called the synergistic offspring of windsurfing, wake boarding and paragliding, kitesurfing requires a high degree of water confidence and a good understanding of kite flying skills.
Open ocean paddling can be a strenuous challenge better left to the experienced, physically fit kayaker. That said, there are plenty of opportunities for novice paddlers to take a trip in Maui’s waters. Kayak operators conduct easy to moderate tours through some of the island’s most inviting seascapes in environments well known for abundance of marine life.
Many tours depart from West Maui beaches and move through marine reserves in the Kapalua/Ka`anapali area. Another top spot is Molokini Crater, where kayakers anchor at the crater and snorkel the delightful depths around Maui.
You could say Maui is a neatly arranged pile of inhabited lava rock surrounded by a huge, churning playground of sapphire-blue water. That playground, Maui's wedge of the vast Pacific, offers a venue for all manner of activities, and has given rise to mini-adventures like parasailing.
This is not a complicated undertaking. You book a ride with a parasailing company that will take you out on a boat, from which you will be attached to a towline and a parachute. As the towline is released, you'll soar into the sky. This is a quick thrill. You'll probably be back in the boat in 7 to 14 minutes depending on the ride you choose.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- From $1,124 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Maui Package w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Escape the ordinary at the luxurious Hotel Wailea Maui
- From $1,099 - Hyatt Hotel in Maui 5-Night Package incl. Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort - $269
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $179 per night
- The Plantation Inn, Maui's Premier Bed & Breakfast - $196 (save over 20%!)
- From $862 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- $595+ Maui 3 nights w/Air. FREE fullsize Car Rental at select resorts.
- Royal Lahaina Resort Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE 5"X7" Portrait
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $579+ Hawaii 3 nights with Air & FREE fullsize Car
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385