Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
It was windsurfing that put Maui on today’s extreme sports map. In the late 1980s, windsurfers from throughout the world discovered Ho`okipa Beach in Pa`ia. The sport had been around since the ‘50s,but it didn’t take off until Ho`okipa and O`ahu-born, windsurfing legend Robby Naish came on the scene.
The beach’s big waves and near-perfect offshore winds, redefined the sport and Naish became its world-champion ambassador. Ho`okipa is not the only place on Maui to windsurf, but it’s the best.
The newest big-thrill, high-skill watersport on Maui is kitesurfing. Sometimes called the synergistic offspring of windsurfing, wake boarding and paragliding, kitesurfing requires a high degree of water confidence and a good understanding of kite flying skills.
Open ocean paddling can be a strenuous challenge better left to the experienced, physically fit kayaker. That said, there are plenty of opportunities for novice paddlers to take a trip in Maui’s waters. Kayak operators conduct easy to moderate tours through some of the island’s most inviting seascapes in environments well known for abundance of marine life.
Many tours depart from West Maui beaches and move through marine reserves in the Kapalua/Ka`anapali area. Another top spot is Molokini Crater, where kayakers anchor at the crater and snorkel the delightful depths around Maui.
You could say Maui is a neatly arranged pile of inhabited lava rock surrounded by a huge, churning playground of sapphire-blue water. That playground, Maui's wedge of the vast Pacific, offers a venue for all manner of activities, and has given rise to mini-adventures like parasailing.
This is not a complicated undertaking. You book a ride with a parasailing company that will take you out on a boat, from which you will be attached to a towline and a parachute. As the towline is released, you'll soar into the sky. This is a quick thrill. You'll probably be back in the boat in 7 to 14 minutes depending on the ride you choose.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- From $987 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 2015 Simply Simple Package for just $757
- From $1,047 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $869+Makena Beach & Golf Resort: 3 Nights w/air & car. Includes FREE midsize rental, $150 resort credit & more PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE!
- $835+ Aston Ka'anapali Shores: 3 Nights with air & car. Includes FREE midsize rental, PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Royal Lahaina Experience Pkg with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $335/nt
- From $1,159 - Hyatt Hotel in Maui 5-Night Package incl. Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Romance Package just $1639
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- $555+ Hawaii Vacations: 3 Nights with Air & FREE midsize rental or roundtrip transfers
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169