Most people come to Hawaii with a rudimentary grasp of the language. If you can say aloha, mahalo and luau, you’re in.
Trust us, you’re going to be lost if you’re stumped by the word luau. These food and entertainment fests areas deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture as tiny Estonia’s century-old song festivals, the Mardi Gras or the perpetual festivals of Bali.
Loosely translated, a luau is a big feast with a lot of singing, dancing and fooling around. Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction.
Since each luau has its unique signature, you might want to ask a few questions before you book a seat, particularly concerning the entertainment, which tends to vary from one luau to the next.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and 'Jurassic Park Falls' views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- $539+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Room & Car Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $204 per night
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1415
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Escape the ordinary at the luxurious Hotel Wailea Maui
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 5 night Romance Package just $2095
- Winter whale of a deal! Save 15% on your Maui condo
- Don't leave Hawaii without trying surfing - lessons for all skill levels.
- Take a submarine tour and experience the beauty of Hawaii below the water!
- 3 Night Beauty and the Beach package at Kaanapali Beach Hotel: room, car, massage, breakfast, cabana and more - $937
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Lahaina Resort - FREE Portrait
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers