Most people come to Hawaii with a rudimentary grasp of the language. If you can say aloha, mahalo and luau, you’re in.
Trust us, you’re going to be lost if you’re stumped by the word luau. These food and entertainment fests areas deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture as tiny Estonia’s century-old song festivals, the Mardi Gras or the perpetual festivals of Bali.
Loosely translated, a luau is a big feast with a lot of singing, dancing and fooling around. Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction.
Since each luau has its unique signature, you might want to ask a few questions before you book a seat, particularly concerning the entertainment, which tends to vary from one luau to the next.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $565+ Hawaii 3 nights with Air & FREE fullsize Car
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort - $269
- The Plantation Inn, Maui's Premier Bed & Breakfast - $196 (save over 20%!)
- Maui Condo/Car packages from as low as $137/day
- From $975 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- From $1,114 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Maui Package w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Save 20% when you add breakfast & car to your stay at Royal Lahaina Resort
- Save 25% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Lahaina Resort
- $869+ The Westin Maui Resort & Spa: 3 Nights with air and car. Includes FREE fullsize car rental, breakfast for 2, resort credits & more!
- From $939 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Royal Lahaina Resort Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE 5"X7" Portrait
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers