Most people come to Hawaii with a rudimentary grasp of the language. If you can say aloha, mahalo and luau, you’re in.
Trust us, you’re going to be lost if you’re stumped by the word luau. These food and entertainment fests areas deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture as tiny Estonia’s century-old song festivals, the Mardi Gras or the perpetual festivals of Bali.
Loosely translated, a luau is a big feast with a lot of singing, dancing and fooling around. Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction.
Since each luau has its unique signature, you might want to ask a few questions before you book a seat, particularly concerning the entertainment, which tends to vary from one luau to the next.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- $639+ Hawaii Vacations with Air & Car
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- 50% OFF – 7-Day Maui & Kauai Condo Spring Sale
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 5 night Romance Package just $1709
- From $1,035 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Royal Lahaina Resort Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE 5"X7" Portrait
- Add a Car to your Maui Condo rental for as low as $17/day!
- 7 Night Romantic Maui Getaway Package from $1767, incl. condo, car, massage, luau, & more!
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- From $1,215 - Hyatt Hotel in Maui 5-Night Package incl. Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Save 30% at Mana Kai Maui Resort
- $849+ Aston Kaanapali Shores: 3-night Studio w/air & FREE Hertz Mid-Size Rental. PLUS kids 12 & younger stay, play and eat FREE!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers