This volcano—called "House of the Sun" by early Hawaiians—has not erupted for more than 200 years. Haleakala, a massive shield volcano that rises 10,023 feet above Maui's coastal areas, is an enormously popular and easily accessible visitor destination. It has become almost a ritual, in fact, for visitorsto rise before dawn and trek to the mountaintop to watch the sun come up.
Haleakala National Park is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and offers plenty of alternatives to a sunrise vigil in a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd. Activities like hiking, horseback riding, and guided nature tours are available in the park.
Within the park is the starting point for the Pipiwai Trail. The trail follows the stream that feeds Oheo Gulch and ends overlooking Waimoku Falls, which cascade down 400 feet.
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $169 per night
- Room & Breakfast Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $201 per night
- Aston Kaanapali Shores - $219
- Room & Car Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $204 per night
- From $595 – Maui Vacations: 3 nights with Air. Get a FREE one-category upgrade when you book a Hertz rental.
- Maui Condo/Car packages from as low as $99.75/day
- Take a submarine tour and experience the beauty of Hawaii below the water!
- See the most popular activities on Maui!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 5 night Romance Package just $2095
- Book early and SAVE! 15% OFF Early-Bird Peak Season 2014 Maui Vacation Rentals
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers