This volcano—called "House of the Sun" by early Hawaiians—has not erupted for more than 200 years. Haleakala, a massive shield volcano that rises 10,023 feet above Maui's coastal areas, is an enormously popular and easily accessible visitor destination. It has become almost a ritual, in fact, for visitorsto rise before dawn and trek to the mountaintop to watch the sun come up.
Haleakala National Park is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and offers plenty of alternatives to a sunrise vigil in a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd. Activities like hiking, horseback riding, and guided nature tours are available in the park.
Within the park is the starting point for the Pipiwai Trail. The trail follows the stream that feeds Oheo Gulch and ends overlooking Waimoku Falls, which cascade down 400 feet.
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- $130 & Up - 350+ Maui & Kauai Condos 35% OFF in March or April
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $179/night
- $1,099+ Hawaii 4-Star Vacations w/Air, Breakfast & Extras
- SAVE Manta Ray Snorkel or World’s Only Glass Bottom Manta Watch @ BlueSeaCruisesInc.com 2 Manta tours
- Catch of the Day Special at Kaanapali Beach Hotel just $99/per person daily
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- $715+ Ka'anapali Beach Hotel: 3 nights w/air & FREE Hertz Mid-Size Rental. FREE hula shows, cultural activities PLUS kids 17 & under stay FREE.
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - special rates from just $174!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- 15% off your Maui condo rental, plus car rental from $17/day
- From $1,395 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Save 25% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Lahaina Resort
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - Whale Encounter Package from $302
- $749+ Royal Lahaina Resort: 3 nights with air and FREE Mid-Size Hertz Rental. Kids 17 and younger stay FREE!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers