This volcano—called "House of the Sun" by early Hawaiians—has not erupted for more than 200 years. Haleakala, a massive shield volcano that rises 10,023 feet above Maui's coastal areas, is an enormously popular and easily accessible visitor destination. It has become almost a ritual, in fact, for visitorsto rise before dawn and trek to the mountaintop to watch the sun come up.
Haleakala National Park is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and offers plenty of alternatives to a sunrise vigil in a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd. Activities like hiking, horseback riding, and guided nature tours are available in the park.
Within the park is the starting point for the Pipiwai Trail. The trail follows the stream that feeds Oheo Gulch and ends overlooking Waimoku Falls, which cascade down 400 feet.
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- $615+ Hawaii 5-Night Vacations with Air & Car: Includes $500 Air Credit per Booking!
- Save 20% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- The Plantation Inn, Maui's Premier Bed & Breakfast - $196 (save over 20%!)
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- From $925 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Maui condos from $106! Save 20%!
- From $959 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- $619+ Maui 5 nights w/Air & Car. Includes $500 Air Credit per Booking!
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
- $885+ Honua Kai Resort & Spa: 3-night 1 BR Condo with air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS Kids 17 & younger stay FREE!
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers