Finalist Entry - David L.
My name is David Lee. I am a lawyer. My wife Rita and I live -for now- in Houston, Texas. This is our most romantic memory:
It was February, 1996. Rita and I married, each for the first time, in our mid-40s at St.Michael's Catholic Church in Crowley Louisiana, Rita's family home. My (still, 16 years later, very) lovely bride and I (mostly her!) had chosen the 14th for the big event, and people came all the way from Houston... on a Wednesday!... to take part in the wedding, and the fantastic reception that followed. The 15th was a travel day - all day. We arrived on Kauai on the afternoon of the 18th after a little obligatory (Pearl, the North Shore) touring on O'ahu. We knew that we'd found our second home, as soon as we got outside the airport in Lihue.
We spent the third afternoon and evening of our Kauai mehinamele attending the Smith Family Garden tour and Luau in Wailua State Park. The weather had been stormy and cold the day before, but gradually warmed so that we were comfortable in short sleeves.
The garden tour took place in light, gentle rain. The sun was near the hilltops surrounding the Wailua river canyon. The air was thick with moisture. As the tour caravan paused for a view of some huge torch ginger, I looked makai, away from what the Tour Guide was showing us, in the direction of my sweet Bride. There, just beyond her, was the end of a big rainbow! I said "Look Sweeties! My God! Look at the rainbow! It's right there!" But I was wrong, in a good way.
We stepped from the tour car, out from under it's canopy, and we were in the rainbow! It was all around us. I wouldn't have thought it possible. It was literally breath taking. We were both speechless for several seconds at the spectacle and our incredibly good fortune. Then our eyes met in the bluish golden glow, and we shared a long sweet kiss. It was as if the Lord himself had blessed our union. Was there a way to welcome us more profoundly? We knew that the Hawai'ian Islands, and especially Kauai, would forever be prominent in our hearts. We have been back twice more, since. If it is possible to have paradise on earth, we know where it is.
- Room & Car Package at Royal Lahaina Resort from $204 per night
- To truly experience Hawaii, you must see it from above! Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours from $149
- You must do a LUAU! Fire knife dancers, hula dancers, mai tais, lots of food, and more! Pick one here.
- From $1,189 - Island Hopping: Maui & Kauai, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Aston at the Maui Banyan - $139
- From $1145 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Aston Paki Maui - $149
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - Best Rate Guarantee!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $169 per night
- Aston at Papakea Resort - $186
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!