2011 Maui Marathon
By Sarah Pacheco
Photo courtesy of Maui Marathon Hawaii
During your next trip to Maui, hit the ground running — literally —and sign up to take part in this fall's Maui Marathon. Regarded by many as one of the most scenic courses in the world, the Maui Marathon takes participants on a scenic tour past many of the island's most famous landmarks.
The marathon begins at Queen Kaahumanu Center in Kahului with a Hawaiian blessing and conch shell-blowing performance. After the starter's gun goes off at 5:30 a.m., participants set out on a 26.2-mile journey that runs along sugarcane fields, rolling hills and miles upon miles (17 miles to be exact) of oceanfront highway.
Whether you choose to walk or run, be sure to bring a camera to the capture the picturesque sights you'll encounter along the way, including a sunrise over Haleakala, the extinct off-shore volcanic crater Molokini, the West Maui Mountains and views of neighboring islands Lanai, Molokai and Kahoolawe, once a U.S. Navy bombing target now being maintained by the federal government.
Other attractions to return to later in your visit are the Maui Ocean Center, the resort towns Wailea and Makena, and the historic whaling village of Lahaina, home to the largest number of restaurants, art galleries and shops on the island.
As the roar of ocean waves and cheers of spectators propel you toward the finish line, you'll pass the world-famous Kaanapali Resort and end at Whalers Village, where you'll be greeted with a lei, finisher's medallion and refreshments.
The 41st annual Maui Marathon takes place Sunday, Sept. 18.
Those looking for a shorter race experience can also participate in a half-marathon (also on Sunday, Sept. 18), Maui Tacos 5K Run/Walk, inaugural Maui Go Red For Women Ambassador 5K Walk or Run Forrest Fun Front Street Mile (all on Saturday, Sept. 17).
Or become a kukini, an elite class of runners hand-selected by ali'i (royalty), by completing both the one-mile and 5K races on Saturday, along with the half- or full marathon on Sunday.
Visit mauimarathonhawaii.com to view course maps, get price and registration deadlines, see photos from last year's race and download an application.
Articles Related to This One
Current Specials - Maui
- To truly experience Hawaii, you must see it from above! Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours from $149
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - Best Rate Guarantee!
- Haleakala crater, Hana waterfalls, Iao Valley views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- $1,229+ Grand Wailea: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV! Kids 18 & younger stay FREE.
- Experience the REAL Hawaii with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. Tours from $149
- Reel in the 'Big One.' Maui Sportfishing
- Maui Condo/Car packages from as low as $99.75/day
- From $595 – Maui Vacations: 3 nights with Air. Get a FREE one-category upgrade when you book a Hertz rental.
- Maui snorkel adventures: Molokini, Turtle Town, and more!
- Add a Car to your Maui Condo rental for as low as $24/day!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
Hot Clicks - All Islands
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!