Life on Kaua`i is heavily influenced by its lack of anything close to a city. Its small towns—really more like neighborhoods—are slow-paced, interconnected and unassuming. Waimea, at the gateway to Waimea Canyon, is all that and more.
The community’s dedication toits rich heritage has not gone unnoticed. The National Trust for Historic Preservation has included this west side town on its short list of a dozen U.S. destinations that have “lovingly” preserved their communities.
Located just far enough from major visitor destinations and the seat of politics and commerce in Lihu`e, this community tends to fend for itself. Sugar and taro are still cultivated and thrive along side tourism, genetically engineered crops, rocket launches at the nearby naval base and high tech industries housed in the West Kauai Visitor and Technology Center on the outskirts of town.
Waimea is the site of one of Hawaii’s most significant events. It was here, in 1778, that British navigator, Captain James Cook, came upon Kaua`i and discovered the Hawaiian Islands for the western world.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Save 25% on your Kauai Vacation Condo
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Free Unlimited Golf in October for guests of Turtle Bay - Play as many rounds as you want on either of our championship courses!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
- Stay at the Kauai Sands Hotel - Hawaii's Best Oceanfront Value - $79
- From $1,339 - Kauai Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Package w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- $675+ Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation: 3-night 1 BR Condo with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental, FREE parking PLUS Kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- From $1,041 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Kauai Vacation w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers