Located on the southern shore of Kauai, Hanapepe is a town that has held tenaciously to its roots and it looks just as it did over a century ago. It is one of the few towns on the island born without the heavy influence of early sugar plantations. There areat least eight art galleries, and the Children’s Garden of Peace is adjacent to the Storybook Theatre, which reside among the gift and jewelry shops and restaurants that make up the business section of this river town. Walking tour maps are available from most merchants.
Famous and off limits to the public, dramatic Manawaiopuna Falls near Hanapepe were featured in the 1993 blockbuster “Jurassic Park.” Also located in the area is Salt Pond Beach Park, named for the traditional Hawaiian sea salt produced in salt flats near the beach. Rights to process the salt are handed down each generation and sometimes families can be seen working their saltpans.
Thrillseekers can try skydiving from Hanapepe, while those who get their thrill from fresh produce can hit the weekly farmers market on Thursdays.
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Kauai Beach Resort - monthly art & wine events and free airport and golf shuttle - $119
- $675+ Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation: 3-night 1 BR Condo with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental, FREE parking PLUS Kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- $1,165+ The St. Regis Princeville Resort: 3 nights with air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 17 and younger stay FREE.
- Kauai condos from $106! Save 20%!
- Save 20% on your Kauai Vacation Condo
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Kauai Condo/Car Packages from as low as $129!
- From $1,359 - Kauai Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Package w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- From $1,355 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers