Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, which extends over 333,000 acres in the south central part of the Big Island, is the island's most popular attraction drawing more than 2.5 million people a year. Located 30 miles from Hilo and 96 miles from Kona, it's a place where volcanoes erupt, lava flows, andancient myths meet science. Here the story of millions of years of volcanic history continues to evolve, and Madame Pele, Hawaii's goddess of the volcano, remains in residence. The park, established in 1916, is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Admission (good for seven days) is $10 per vehicle.
Kilauea, the park's main attraction, is one of the most active volcanoes on the planet. One of five volcanoes that formed the Big Island, Kilauea sits on the southeastern flank of Mauna Loa, which at 13,677 feet is considered the world's largest volcano. Kilauea has erupted continuously since Jan. 3, 1983.
|Halema`uma`u Crater. To view our entire photo gallery, CLICK HERE.|
Volcanic activity is hazardous and unpredictable. Conditions at vent areas can change rapidly and portions of the park are often closed for the safety of visitors. Don't set out to view lava flows without checking the park's website or talking to park officials about closures.
Hot lava entering the ocean is a spectacular sight, but it's not a phenomenon to be relied upon. Lava flows where Pele goes. As of this writing, lava is actively flowing into the Pacific. Normally, the shield volcano takes a passive approach and oozes lava from fissures in its side. In March, Kilauea wound up and blew off a little steam shooting lava from its summit and projecting boulders and rocks over the landscape.
Though lava flows oozing from Kilauea have caused both massive damage and prodigious land building, its eruptions more typically result in temperate flows. As a result, the edges of active vents are frequently accessible, allowing thousands of people to come face to face with the primordial forces that have shaped the Earth.
Major features of the park are the 11-mile Crater Rim Drive that encircles Kilauea's summit caldera and the Thomas A. Jaggar Museum.
Volcanoes National Park is not Disney World. It's the real thing, and very real dangers exist. Lava enters the ocean at 2,100 degrees F., causing seawater to explode into steam and molten lava and rocks to blast skyward. Every day the volcano spews more than 2,500 tons of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. So avoid coastal areas, don't approach lava flowing through vegetation, do not stand or walk in or under fumes. And always carry plenty of water and a flashlight.
Please do not vandalize any park features. They are protected by federal law, and perhaps more importantly by local superstition that portends bad luck should you remove lava from the island. For current information about the park and eruption updates, call (808) 985-6000 or visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park website: http://www.nps.gov/havo
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- $625+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- From $950 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- $625+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Kings Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $186
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709