Boiling Pots of Wailuku
The Wailuku River is an 18-mile path of churning, bubbling, cascading water that is particularly fearsome during heavy rains. Too many people have perished in these waters that conceal long lava tubes, which suck up surface water and spit it out at the other end.
About 2 miles upstreamfrom Rainbow Falls is a spot aptly named Boiling Pots. During the rainy season, which can be anytime, the river churns through a succession of "pots," resembling a steaming Jacuzzi. Some of the river water flows beneath a level of old lava, then suddenly bubbles up as if it were boiling. The "pots" are visible from the parking area, but if you hike down the trail to the water's edge, it's more exciting. (Just don't enter the water.) To the left is Pe'e Pe'e Falls, a beautiful, five-spouted waterfall. The Boiling Pots are about two miles past the Hilo Medical Center, on Wai'anuenue Drive. Watch for the Pe'e Pe'e Falls sign, which leads to the parking area above the river.
- $575+ Hawaii Vacations with Air & Car
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - special rates from just $174!
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- 50% OFF – 7-Day Maui & Kauai Condo Spring Sale
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $250/nt
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- From $1,135 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers