Boiling Pots of Wailuku
The Wailuku River is an 18-mile path of churning, bubbling, cascading water that is particularly fearsome during heavy rains. Too many people have perished in these waters that conceal long lava tubes, which suck up surface water and spit it out at the other end.
About 2 miles upstreamfrom Rainbow Falls is a spot aptly named Boiling Pots. During the rainy season, which can be anytime, the river churns through a succession of "pots," resembling a steaming Jacuzzi. Some of the river water flows beneath a level of old lava, then suddenly bubbles up as if it were boiling. The "pots" are visible from the parking area, but if you hike down the trail to the water's edge, it's more exciting. (Just don't enter the water.) To the left is Pe'e Pe'e Falls, a beautiful, five-spouted waterfall. The Boiling Pots are about two miles past the Hilo Medical Center, on Wai'anuenue Drive. Watch for the Pe'e Pe'e Falls sign, which leads to the parking area above the river.
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- $785+ Castle Halii Kai at Waikoloa : 3-night 1 BR Condo with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 12 and younger stay and eat FREE!
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers