Boiling Pots of Wailuku
The Wailuku River is an 18-mile path of churning, bubbling, cascading water that is particularly fearsome during heavy rains. Too many people have perished in these waters that conceal long lava tubes, which suck up surface water and spit it out at the other end.
About 2 miles upstreamfrom Rainbow Falls is a spot aptly named Boiling Pots. During the rainy season, which can be anytime, the river churns through a succession of "pots," resembling a steaming Jacuzzi. Some of the river water flows beneath a level of old lava, then suddenly bubbles up as if it were boiling. The "pots" are visible from the parking area, but if you hike down the trail to the water's edge, it's more exciting. (Just don't enter the water.) To the left is Pe'e Pe'e Falls, a beautiful, five-spouted waterfall. The Boiling Pots are about two miles past the Hilo Medical Center, on Wai'anuenue Drive. Watch for the Pe'e Pe'e Falls sign, which leads to the parking area above the river.
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- $635+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- From $985 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers