Boiling Pots of Wailuku
The Wailuku River is an 18-mile path of churning, bubbling, cascading water that is particularly fearsome during heavy rains. Too many people have perished in these waters that conceal long lava tubes, which suck up surface water and spit it out at the other end.
About 2 miles upstreamfrom Rainbow Falls is a spot aptly named Boiling Pots. During the rainy season, which can be anytime, the river churns through a succession of "pots," resembling a steaming Jacuzzi. Some of the river water flows beneath a level of old lava, then suddenly bubbles up as if it were boiling. The "pots" are visible from the parking area, but if you hike down the trail to the water's edge, it's more exciting. (Just don't enter the water.) To the left is Pe'e Pe'e Falls, a beautiful, five-spouted waterfall. The Boiling Pots are about two miles past the Hilo Medical Center, on Wai'anuenue Drive. Watch for the Pe'e Pe'e Falls sign, which leads to the parking area above the river.
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- $669+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible SUV or Minivan Rental
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- $609+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. Save up to $100 per Booking!
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Kings Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $186
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $785+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights with Air. Includes $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE.
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers