Boiling Pots of Wailuku
The Wailuku River is an 18-mile path of churning, bubbling, cascading water that is particularly fearsome during heavy rains. Too many people have perished in these waters that conceal long lava tubes, which suck up surface water and spit it out at the other end.
About 2 miles upstreamfrom Rainbow Falls is a spot aptly named Boiling Pots. During the rainy season, which can be anytime, the river churns through a succession of "pots," resembling a steaming Jacuzzi. Some of the river water flows beneath a level of old lava, then suddenly bubbles up as if it were boiling. The "pots" are visible from the parking area, but if you hike down the trail to the water's edge, it's more exciting. (Just don't enter the water.) To the left is Pe'e Pe'e Falls, a beautiful, five-spouted waterfall. The Boiling Pots are about two miles past the Hilo Medical Center, on Wai'anuenue Drive. Watch for the Pe'e Pe'e Falls sign, which leads to the parking area above the river.
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- $545+ Hawaii Vacations: 3 Nights with Air & FREE Convertible Rental
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Aloha Special Reduced Rates starting at $149/night
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Kings Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $186
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- From $999 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast & Taxes
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- $909+Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows: 3 nights with air and car. Includes FREE Convertible Rental Car PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers