Visit a Macadamia Nut Farm
More than a century ago, a Big Island sugar plantation manager introduced macadamia nuts to the island. Although native to the Australian rainforests, mac nuts thrived in Hawaii, and the state became the site of the world's first commercial plantations. Today these delicious, hard-shelled nuts, which are high in the"good" fat that helps reduce cholesterol levels, are one of the Big Island's largest crops.
Some 60 million pounds of mac nuts were produced on the Big Island in 2005/2006. With the exception of a small farm on Molokai, all the state's mac nuts are grown on the Big Island.
Macadamia nuts are not picked from the tree. They fall to the ground fully ripened. Don't pick one up expecting to shell it and pop it in your mouth. It requires 300 pounds of pressure per square inch to crack a mac nut shell. (Hint: To avoid smashing body parts, try wrapping the nut in an old sock or newspaper before hitting it with a hammer.) Commercially, the job gets done with high tech cracking machines, after which the nuts are roasted.
Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Corp., six miles south of Hilo on Macadamia Road, and Hamakua Macadamia Nut Co., on Maluokalani Street in Kawaihae, welcome visits from people who want to know more about mac nut processing. At Mauna Loa, you'll find a 2,500-acre orchard, a nut processing plant and chocolate factory. Hamakua offers a visitor center, self-guided tours and free samples.
For more information, pick up the "Great Hawaiian Mac Nut Trail," a self-guided tour of the Big Island's macadamia nut industry. You'll find everything from processing plants to small family-owned farms and a bed-and-breakfast stop where visitors can pick mac nuts.
- Volcano, waterfall, and rainforest views from above with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- Snorkel on the Big Island, starting under $38
- Reel in the "Big One!" Big Island Sportfishing
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- Get a bird's eye view of Kilauea volcano! Big Island helicopter tours from $196
- You must do a LUAU! Fire knife dancers, hula dancers, mai tais, lots of food, and more! Pick one here.
- See the LAVA! Big Island Volcano Tours.
- $695+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights w/Air and FREE one-category Hertz Rental Upgrade. PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Zipline over a waterfall, rainforest, and more!
- Kailua Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise, just $40
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $539+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and 'Jurassic Park Falls' views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!