The Wailuku River, which defines the western limit of downtown Hilo, is 18 miles long, making it the longest river in the Hawaiian archipelago. Wailuku, which means 'destroying water', had a fearsome reputation because it was so difficult to cross during periods of high rain. The river is now safely traversedby three charming road bridges, the first at the bottom of Waianuenue Avenue, a main thoroughfare in downtown Hilo.
Waianuenue, which means 'rainbow seen in the water,' leads up to its raison d'etre, the natural wonder, Rainbow Falls. The roaring water falls 80 feet into a large pool almost a 100 feet in diameter. Behind the falls is a deep cave, a legendary home of Hina, mother of Maui. When the cascade hits the water far below, the mists throw flocks of rainbows into the air. The best time to catch a rainbow is in the early morning sunshine, before the clouds back up into the looming mass of Mauna Kea.
Many people are content to view the falls from a vantage point near the parking lot, from which a stone stairway leads to a special viewing area directly over the falls. Follow the same path slightly farther away from the falls, and you'll be in the shade of a gigantic banyan tree and a different vantage point. There is no access to the pond below, so do not try to scale the slippery slopes to get any closer to the thunderous torrent. The river was not named Wailuku for nothing.
Take Waianuenue Drive through Hilo and bear right on Rainbow Drive. A parking lot will be on your right. Make the short walk to a lookout and hope for a rainbow. There's no access to the pond at the base of the falls, so don't even think about scaling the slippery slopes to get closer. Use a long lens.
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- $725+ Aston Shores at Waikoloa: 3 nights with Air. Includes $100 off PLUS kids 12 and younger stay, play and eat FREE.
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $779+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights with Air. Includes $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $765+ The Westin Maui Resort & Spa: Includes $100 off, breakfast & more!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385