Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $795+ Castle Halii Kai at Waikoloa: 3-night 2-BR Condo w/Air. FREE parking & Wi-Fi, kids 17 & under stay FREE! Get a FREE upgrade on a Hertz rental.
- Save up to 20% by pre-purchasing breakfast at Royal Kona Resort
- Aston Shores at Waikoloa - $179
- Aston Kona by the Sea - $186
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas - $207
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- Reel in the "Big One!" Big Island Sportfishing
- From $1145 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers