Lava—hot, invincible and irresistibly captivating—continues its stubborn run on the ocean. The impact, when it hits cool sea water at a blistering 2,100 degrees, is staggering.
Lava boat tours have emerged as a hot, new adventure, grabbing the attention of national media as well asvisitors intrigued by the opportunity to get close to the fury and raw beauty of nature from a safe distance.
A 15.5-mile bike ride will get you to the show as will air tours.
By land, it’s possible to see lava flows from a coastline viewing area at the end of Highway 130 in Puna. Though lava flows can be viewed during daylight hours, they are more spectacular after dark.
The restless volcano has left its mark on the Big Island’s air quality. Volcanic smog, or vog, alerts have increased, so visitors with breathing issues need to be aware of air conditions.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- $615+ Hawaii 5-Night Vacations with Air & Car: Includes $500 Air Credit per Booking!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- $615+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- $759+ Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows: 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental and FREE Wi-Fi PLUS kids 17 & under stay FREE.
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers