Lava—hot, invincible and irresistibly captivating—continues its stubborn run on the ocean. The impact, when it hits cool sea water at a blistering 2,100 degrees, is staggering.
Lava boat tours have emerged as a hot, new adventure, grabbing the attention of national media as well asvisitors intrigued by the opportunity to get close to the fury and raw beauty of nature from a safe distance.
A 15.5-mile bike ride will get you to the show as will air tours.
By land, it’s possible to see lava flows from a coastline viewing area at the end of Highway 130 in Puna. Though lava flows can be viewed during daylight hours, they are more spectacular after dark.
The restless volcano has left its mark on the Big Island’s air quality. Volcanic smog, or vog, alerts have increased, so visitors with breathing issues need to be aware of air conditions.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- 50% OFF – 7-Day Maui & Kauai Condo Spring Sale
- $639+ Hawaii Vacations with Air & Car
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- From $1,129 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- $765+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental. PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers