Lava—hot, invincible and irresistibly captivating—continues its stubborn run on the ocean. The impact, when it hits cool sea water at a blistering 2,100 degrees, is staggering.
Lava boat tours have emerged as a hot, new adventure, grabbing the attention of national media as well asvisitors intrigued by the opportunity to get close to the fury and raw beauty of nature from a safe distance.
A 15.5-mile bike ride will get you to the show as will air tours.
By land, it’s possible to see lava flows from a coastline viewing area at the end of Highway 130 in Puna. Though lava flows can be viewed during daylight hours, they are more spectacular after dark.
The restless volcano has left its mark on the Big Island’s air quality. Volcanic smog, or vog, alerts have increased, so visitors with breathing issues need to be aware of air conditions.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- $639+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan Rental
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- $809+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights with Air. Includes $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE.
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- From $935 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers