Lava—hot, invincible and irresistibly captivating—continues its stubborn run on the ocean. The impact, when it hits cool sea water at a blistering 2,100 degrees, is staggering.
Lava boat tours have emerged as a hot, new adventure, grabbing the attention of national media as well asvisitors intrigued by the opportunity to get close to the fury and raw beauty of nature from a safe distance.
A 15.5-mile bike ride will get you to the show as will air tours.
By land, it’s possible to see lava flows from a coastline viewing area at the end of Highway 130 in Puna. Though lava flows can be viewed during daylight hours, they are more spectacular after dark.
The restless volcano has left its mark on the Big Island’s air quality. Volcanic smog, or vog, alerts have increased, so visitors with breathing issues need to be aware of air conditions.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- 5th Night FREE at Maui and Kauai condos. Book Now!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and "Jurassic Park Falls" views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- $785+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Secluded Maui beach resort, free car, dining credits & more
- Save up to 25% by pre-purchasing your breakfast and car with Royal Kona Resort
- Big Island Horseback Riding Adventures starting at $62.50!
- From $1,025 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Midsize car rental in Kona from $240/wk
- $629+ Big Island Trips: 3 nights w/air. Get a FREE one-category upgrade when you book a Hertz rental.
- Take a submarine tour and experience the beauty of Hawaii below the water!
- Full size car rental in Kona from $247/wk
- $775+ Aston Kona by the Sea: 3-night 1-BR Partial Ocean View w/Air. Kids 12 & under stay, play & eat FREE. Get a FREE upgrade on a Hertz rental.
- Big Island siteseeing tours: volcano, waterfalls, and more!
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers