North Kohala's Rich History
The North Kohala peninsula, having risen first from the sea, is the oldest section of this still growing island. Eventually, the volcanoes that formed Kohala Mountain became extinct leaving a rugged, windswept terrain that only now is beginning to show signs of modern development. But time has not erased thehistoric legacy of this region. Ancient temple sites, like Mo'okini Heiau, built in 480 A.D., a Hawaiian village dating back 600 years at Lapakahi State Historical Park, and the birthplace and original statue of King Kamehameha I stand as graphic reminders of a time when the Hawaiian archipelago was virtually unknown to the Western world.
Today the upcountry hamlets of Hawi and Kapa'au cater to tourists in inventive, offbeat ways. Park and take a peek inside the boutiques, galleries, eateries and gift shops that line the main drag in both towns. The Kohala Book Shop, in Kapa'au, is a find for anyone looking for rare or unusual tomes and The Bamboo Inn, a restaurant and gallery in Hawi, is an institution that has long drawn visitors to this out-of-the-way destination. High-energy attractions like Hummer Safari Tours in Hawi and ATV Outfitters in Kapa'au bring thousands of visitors to these upcountry towns.
The drive to the Pololu Valley Lookout, beyond Hawi and Kapa'au, is spectacular. Once there, consider hiking into the valley. Leaving the North Kohala area, you might want to take the Kohala Mountain Road along Route 250 to Waimea. This is a picturesque drive through cattle ranches and largely unpopulated countryside. On a clear day, you can see three of the Big Island's five mountains: Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai. And you might even catch a glimpse of Haleakala on the island of Maui.
- Reel in the "Big One!" Big Island Sportfishing
- Don't leave Hawaii without trying surfing - lessons for all skill levels.
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- To truly experience Hawaii, you must see it from above! Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours from $149
- 3rd Night Free at Royal Kona Resort
- From $1,025 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- $1,135+ Mauna Kea Beach Hotel: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV! PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Experience the REAL Hawaii with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. Tours from $149
- Soar over the Kona coast on a Parasailing adventure.
- Midsize car rental in Kona from $240/wk
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and "Jurassic Park Falls" views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- $785+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- 5th Night FREE at Maui and Kauai condos. Book Now!
- Secluded Maui beach resort, free car, dining credits & more