North Kohala's Rich History
The North Kohala peninsula, having risen first from the sea, is the oldest section of this still growing island. Eventually, the volcanoes that formed Kohala Mountain became extinct leaving a rugged, windswept terrain that only now is beginning to show signs of modern development. But time has not erased thehistoric legacy of this region. Ancient temple sites, like Mo'okini Heiau, built in 480 A.D., a Hawaiian village dating back 600 years at Lapakahi State Historical Park, and the birthplace and original statue of King Kamehameha I stand as graphic reminders of a time when the Hawaiian archipelago was virtually unknown to the Western world.
Today the upcountry hamlets of Hawi and Kapa'au cater to tourists in inventive, offbeat ways. Park and take a peek inside the boutiques, galleries, eateries and gift shops that line the main drag in both towns. The Kohala Book Shop, in Kapa'au, is a find for anyone looking for rare or unusual tomes and The Bamboo Inn, a restaurant and gallery in Hawi, is an institution that has long drawn visitors to this out-of-the-way destination. High-energy attractions like Hummer Safari Tours in Hawi and ATV Outfitters in Kapa'au bring thousands of visitors to these upcountry towns.
The drive to the Pololu Valley Lookout, beyond Hawi and Kapa'au, is spectacular. Once there, consider hiking into the valley. Leaving the North Kohala area, you might want to take the Kohala Mountain Road along Route 250 to Waimea. This is a picturesque drive through cattle ranches and largely unpopulated countryside. On a clear day, you can see three of the Big Island's five mountains: Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai. And you might even catch a glimpse of Haleakala on the island of Maui.
- $795+ Castle Halii Kai at Waikoloa: 3-night 2-BR Condo w/Air. FREE parking & Wi-Fi, kids 17 & under stay FREE! Get a FREE upgrade on a Hertz rental.
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- From $1145 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Save up to 20% by pre-purchasing breakfast at Royal Kona Resort
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- Take a relaxing sunset Dinner Cruise.
- Get a bird's eye view of Kilauea volcano! Big Island helicopter tours from $196
- Soar over the Kona coast on a Parasailing adventure.
- Aston Kona by the Sea - $186
- Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas - $207
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!