North Kohala's Rich History
The North Kohala peninsula, having risen first from the sea, is the oldest section of this still growing island. Eventually, the volcanoes that formed Kohala Mountain became extinct leaving a rugged, windswept terrain that only now is beginning to show signs of modern development. But time has not erased thehistoric legacy of this region. Ancient temple sites, like Mo'okini Heiau, built in 480 A.D., a Hawaiian village dating back 600 years at Lapakahi State Historical Park, and the birthplace and original statue of King Kamehameha I stand as graphic reminders of a time when the Hawaiian archipelago was virtually unknown to the Western world.
Today the upcountry hamlets of Hawi and Kapa'au cater to tourists in inventive, offbeat ways. Park and take a peek inside the boutiques, galleries, eateries and gift shops that line the main drag in both towns. The Kohala Book Shop, in Kapa'au, is a find for anyone looking for rare or unusual tomes and The Bamboo Inn, a restaurant and gallery in Hawi, is an institution that has long drawn visitors to this out-of-the-way destination. High-energy attractions like Hummer Safari Tours in Hawi and ATV Outfitters in Kapa'au bring thousands of visitors to these upcountry towns.
The drive to the Pololu Valley Lookout, beyond Hawi and Kapa'au, is spectacular. Once there, consider hiking into the valley. Leaving the North Kohala area, you might want to take the Kohala Mountain Road along Route 250 to Waimea. This is a picturesque drive through cattle ranches and largely unpopulated countryside. On a clear day, you can see three of the Big Island's five mountains: Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai. And you might even catch a glimpse of Haleakala on the island of Maui.
- $669+ Big Island January Sale: Get $100 off + FREE Convertible, SUV, Minivan or Luxury Car Rental
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Free Unlimited Golf in October for guests of Turtle Bay - Play as many rounds as you want on either of our championship courses!
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $669+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible SUV or Minivan Rental
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning