King Kamehameha's Birthplace
The image of Hawaii's fierce warrior king, Kamehameha I, is duplicated in statues and place names throughout the islands. But nowhere is Kamehameha, who in 1810 united the Island, more revered than in the neighboring Kohala hamlets of Hawi and Kapa'au. Here is the birthplace of the man who would becomeknown as Kamehameha the Great. And here is located the more than century-old, original 9-foot statue in his likeness.
Kamehameha's birthplace is west of Hawi near the ruins of Mookini Heiau, which dates back to 480 A.D. and is considered one of the island's most important temple sites. The king's birthplace, marked by a plaque, is on a dirt road about a mile past the heiau. To get there, take the turnoff to Upolu Airport, then turn left at the airfield. Be aware that the road is in poor condition.
The statue, which was restored in early 2001, stands on the grounds of the Kohala Information Center on the main road (Highway 270) in Kapa'au. Cast in Italy in 1879 and erected in the early 1880s, it is the original Kamehameha statue. There are four other bronzes, one on Oahu, one on Maui, one in Hilo and one in Washington, D.C.
The nine-ton Kapa'au statue was originally cast in bronze. It was repainted in 1883 after it was recovered from the sea. When it was restored again in 2001, residents voted to preserve the familiar bright yellow and red image and once again paint over the gilding. The statue, though striking, fails to portray authentic Polynesian features, leaning instead toward the classic look of Caucasian warriors.
The drive to Hawi and Kapa'au from the South Kohala resort area is a trip through the historic past of the island. Significant temple ruins as well as a reconstructed ancient village can be seen on the way to Kamehameha's homeland. From the resort area, follow Highway 19 until it intersects with Highway 270, bear left and keep an eye open for another sign directing you to turn right to continue on 270 to Hawi and Kapa'au.
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- From $966 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- $579+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. FREE midsize Car Rental at select resorts.
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Kings Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $186
- $619+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with air and car. Includes FREE midsize car rental PLUS kids 17 and younger stay FREE.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- $555+ Hawaii Vacations: 3 Nights with Air & FREE midsize rental or roundtrip transfers
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169