History and Culture
Glimpse the past and retrace the history of Hawaii at any number of museums and attractions. Polynesian culture, immigrants, plantations, missionaries and more all weave the Hawaii of today. Explore the sites on Hawaii traveled by the footstep of all those who have come before and gain an appreciation ofcultures, past and present.
Ancient temple sites, like Mo`okini Heiau, built in 480 A.D.; a Hawaiian village dating back 600 years at Lapakahi State Historical Park; and the birthplace and original statue of King Kamehameha I are among the graphic reminders of a time when the Hawaiian archipelago was virtually unknown to the Western world.
Hawaii’s South Point, more properly called Ka La`e, is located at a latitude 500 miles farther south than Miami. Its roots go back to 150 A.D. when it is believed the first Polynesian explorers set foot on the island.
The North Kohala peninsula, having risen first from the sea, is the oldest section of this still growing island. Eventually, the volcanoes that formed Kohala Mountain became extinct leaving a rugged, windswept terrain that only now is beginning to show signs of modern development. But time has not erased the historic legacy of this region, and it certainly hasn’t dimmed its wild beauty.
Pu`uhonua o Honaunau is an ancient place of refuge was the destination of people running for their lives, seeking asylum from severe penalties imposed on all who broke the imposing kapu laws. Once inside the compound’s 10-foot walls, sanctuary was guaranteed.
Waipi`o, which means "curved water," is known as the "Valley of the Kings" because it was once home to many ancient Hawaiian rulers and is said to be the place where King Kamehameha the Great received his training. Ancient burial caves are located in the walls of the cliffs and many ancient myths, chants and songs were inspired by the valley.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- SAVE $20 Whale Watch - Glass Bottom Cruise - Fabulous fun on Big Island’s biggest tour boat. Book code WEBBSC online BlueSeaCruisesInc.com
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $739+ Hawaii’s Big Island: 3-night vacations with FREE Hertz Midsize Rental.
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- $739+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental. PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Courtyard Marriott - Get 20% Off* when you book and pay at least 14 days in advance! Book Early, Save Big.
- $859+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental. PLUS kids 18 and younger stay FREE!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- $609+ Hawaii Vacations with Air and FREE rental car or transfers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- SAVE Manta Ray Snorkel or World’s Only Glass Bottom Manta Watch @ BlueSeaCruisesInc.com 2 Manta tours
- Touch, swim with, or even KISS a dolphin!