Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
From the technological advances of windsurfing, paragliding and wakeboarding has come a hot, new water sport that some people call kitesurfing and others call kiteboarding. No matter what you call it, this is an extreme sport that takeswind, guts, the right equipment and a lot of practice.
Here’s how it works: The kitesurfer, standing on a kiteboard, which is a small surfboard with straps, is pulled across the water by a big kite. Sounds easy enough, but don’t be fooled. It could take a season of kitesurfing before a pilot becomes competent.
Kitesurfing enthusiasts say the sport, though challenging and sometimes dangerous, is more fun and not as dependent on high wave and wind action as windsurfing.
Lessons and rental gear for the novice pilot are available on the island.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
Ocean kayaking is a great way to slip away from the crowd and get lost in the rhythm of the paddle, the slush of the surf, and the irresistible tug of nature. In the winter, there’s the added draw of getting splashed by a breeching humpback whale.
There are plenty of opportunities in Big Island waters for kayakers with little or no experience. Whether you rent a kayak “to go” or book a guided tour with an activity company, expect to move through some of the island’s most inviting seascapes in environments well known for abundance of marine life.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
Parasailing in Kona is an easy-to-master thrill ride in a gorgeous surround. The water in the bay is so clear you can almost see the ocean floor, and most days you’ll be drifting through cloudless, blue skies. This is a quick thrill. You'll probably be back in the boat in 11 to 14 minutes depending on the ride you choose. And because of the state-of-the-art equipment most parasailing companies employ, dry landings are the norm and safety is emphasized.
You can fly single, tandem or triple and no experience is necessary.
Expect your ride to be surprisingly quiet and peaceful, the result of a neutral air pocket in the parasail that keeps air from coming down on your head and shuts out sound.
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $795+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE fullsize car rental, $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE.
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- $615+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. FREE fullsize Car Rental at select resorts PLUS save up to $100 per Booking!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- $739+ Aston Shores at Waikoloa: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE fullsize car rental, $100 off PLUS kids 12 and younger stay, play and eat FREE.
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Hawaii 3 nights w/ Air – FREE fullsize Car PLUS save up to $100!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129