Windsurfing and Kiteboarding
From the technological advances of windsurfing, paragliding and wakeboarding has come a hot, new water sport that some people call kitesurfing and others call kiteboarding. No matter what you call it, this is an extreme sport that takeswind, guts, the right equipment and a lot of practice.
Here’s how it works: The kitesurfer, standing on a kiteboard, which is a small surfboard with straps, is pulled across the water by a big kite. Sounds easy enough, but don’t be fooled. It could take a season of kitesurfing before a pilot becomes competent.
Kitesurfing enthusiasts say the sport, though challenging and sometimes dangerous, is more fun and not as dependent on high wave and wind action as windsurfing.
Lessons and rental gear for the novice pilot are available on the island.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
Ocean kayaking is a great way to slip away from the crowd and get lost in the rhythm of the paddle, the slush of the surf, and the irresistible tug of nature. In the winter, there’s the added draw of getting splashed by a breeching humpback whale.
There are plenty of opportunities in Big Island waters for kayakers with little or no experience. Whether you rent a kayak “to go” or book a guided tour with an activity company, expect to move through some of the island’s most inviting seascapes in environments well known for abundance of marine life.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
Parasailing in Kona is an easy-to-master thrill ride in a gorgeous surround. The water in the bay is so clear you can almost see the ocean floor, and most days you’ll be drifting through cloudless, blue skies. This is a quick thrill. You'll probably be back in the boat in 11 to 14 minutes depending on the ride you choose. And because of the state-of-the-art equipment most parasailing companies employ, dry landings are the norm and safety is emphasized.
You can fly single, tandem or triple and no experience is necessary.
Expect your ride to be surprisingly quiet and peaceful, the result of a neutral air pocket in the parasail that keeps air from coming down on your head and shuts out sound.
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt.
- Experience the REAL Hawaii with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. Tours from $149
- Big Island siteseeing tours: volcano, waterfalls, and more!
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- 3rd Night Free at Royal Kona Resort
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Meet a Dolphin Face-to-Face with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- $525+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!