Surfing on the Big Island
Legends about surfing are found in the earliest stories of ancient Hawaii. In about 400 A.D., a form of belly boarding on small wooden planks was introduced. Later, Tahitian explorers brought their tradition of riding waves with canoes. The ingenious Hawaiians merged the two techniques to create the sport ofsurfing.
Today the fascination with the sport of kings is as alive as ever. The Big Island of Hawaii with its array of beaches, warm, clear waters and year-round surf attracts an endless stream of surfers. For centuries, the blue waters of the Pacific have drawn surfers and wannabes to try their skill at the sport. If wave riding is one of your dreams, you might want to consider taking private lessons.
Learning how to surf is a rewarding adventure. There are lessons, camps, and clinics available for those who want to try. Students generally begin their training riding soft long boards and are introduced to the necessary surfing fundamentals, safety, and ocean-awareness in a land lesson before entering the small surf to give it a try. Lessons are fully supervised and most schools offer beginner, intermediate and advanced lessons.
Kahalu'u Beach Park in Kona, where you can expect low surf, is a safe spot for beginners. The beach is guarded and there are plenty of surfers. Generally the northern and western shores of the Big Island catch the north swells during the winter months, while the southern and eastern shores get the south swells in the summertime.
One of the most popular and consistent surf spots on the east side of the island is Honoli'i Point, right outside of Hilo. This is a great place to watch surfers and body-boarders catch the three good breaks at the mouth of the river.
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- From $950 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $625+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Free Unlimited Golf in October for guests of Turtle Bay - Play as many rounds as you want on either of our championship courses!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!