Surfing on the Big Island
Legends about surfing are found in the earliest stories of ancient Hawaii. In about 400 A.D., a form of belly boarding on small wooden planks was introduced. Later, Tahitian explorers brought their tradition of riding waves with canoes. The ingenious Hawaiians merged the two techniques to create the sport ofsurfing.
Today the fascination with the sport of kings is as alive as ever. The Big Island of Hawaii with its array of beaches, warm, clear waters and year-round surf attracts an endless stream of surfers. For centuries, the blue waters of the Pacific have drawn surfers and wannabes to try their skill at the sport. If wave riding is one of your dreams, you might want to consider taking private lessons.
Learning how to surf is a rewarding adventure. There are lessons, camps, and clinics available for those who want to try. Students generally begin their training riding soft long boards and are introduced to the necessary surfing fundamentals, safety, and ocean-awareness in a land lesson before entering the small surf to give it a try. Lessons are fully supervised and most schools offer beginner, intermediate and advanced lessons.
Kahalu'u Beach Park in Kona, where you can expect low surf, is a safe spot for beginners. The beach is guarded and there are plenty of surfers. Generally the northern and western shores of the Big Island catch the north swells during the winter months, while the southern and eastern shores get the south swells in the summertime.
One of the most popular and consistent surf spots on the east side of the island is Honoli'i Point, right outside of Hilo. This is a great place to watch surfers and body-boarders catch the three good breaks at the mouth of the river.
- From $1,414 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Night Self-Drive Package w/Air, Car Rental & Hotels
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- $785+Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Midsize Car Rental PLUS kids 18 and younger stay FREE.
- From $929 - 6 Night Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- $615+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights with Air and Car. Includes FREE Midsize Car Rental.
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Aloha Special Reduced Rates starting at $149/night
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 3-night Whale Encounter Package from $878
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- $505+ Hawaii Vacations: 3-Night with Air & FREE Midsize Car Rental