Diving the ocean off the Kona/Kohala Coast is a world-class experience. Protected from trade winds by the island's twin mountain masses, the ocean is typically calm, the weather sunny, and visibility generally in the 100-foot range. The Kona Coast stands out for its recent lava formations with walls, archways,lava-tubes and abundant marine life. Add to that the expertise of a great variety of Big Island dive companies and the scores of diving spots along the Kona/Kohala Coast, and you'll know why top diving publications and seasoned divers rate the Big Island one of the world's top diving destinations.
In East Hawaii, most diving is done from shore. Lele`iwi Beach in Keaukaha is a good spot for the novice or intermediate diver. Richardson's Ocean Park is a good location for the advanced diver. Although the entry is a protected snorkeling bay, the ocean floor drops quickly to 140 feet.
Some dive companies conduct night dives in locations where giant manta rays are commonly spotted.
- contributions courtesy of 101 Things To Do
|Big Island's Best Dive Spots||Dive with Manta Rays|
|Learn to SNUBA||Safety Tips for Beach and Water|
|Staying Safe when Snorkeling|
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and 'Jurassic Park Falls' views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- $539+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- Kailua Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise, just $40
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- From $1,049 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt.
- Big Island Horseback Riding Adventures starting at $62.50!
- Reel in the "Big One!" Big Island Sportfishing
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers