Diving the ocean off the Kona/Kohala Coast is a world-class experience. Protected from trade winds by the island's twin mountain masses, the ocean is typically calm, the weather sunny, and visibility generally in the 100-foot range. The Kona Coast stands out for its recent lava formations with walls, archways,lava-tubes and abundant marine life. Add to that the expertise of a great variety of Big Island dive companies and the scores of diving spots along the Kona/Kohala Coast, and you'll know why top diving publications and seasoned divers rate the Big Island one of the world's top diving destinations.
In East Hawaii, most diving is done from shore. Lele`iwi Beach in Keaukaha is a good spot for the novice or intermediate diver. Richardson's Ocean Park is a good location for the advanced diver. Although the entry is a protected snorkeling bay, the ocean floor drops quickly to 140 feet.
Some dive companies conduct night dives in locations where giant manta rays are commonly spotted.
- contributions courtesy of 101 Things To Do
|Big Island's Best Dive Spots||Dive with Manta Rays|
|Learn to SNUBA||Safety Tips for Beach and Water|
|Staying Safe when Snorkeling|
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- $669+ Hawaii January Sale –$100 off + FREE Convertible SUV or Minivan Rental
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $635+ Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay: 3 nights w/Air. Includes $100 off PLUS Kids 17 & under stay FREE!
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Free Unlimited Golf in October for guests of Turtle Bay - Play as many rounds as you want on either of our championship courses!
- $669+ Big Island January Sale: Get $100 off + FREE Convertible, SUV, Minivan or Luxury Car Rental
- Kings Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $186
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers