Diving the ocean off the Kona/Kohala Coast is a world-class experience. Protected from trade winds by the island's twin mountain masses, the ocean is typically calm, the weather sunny, and visibility generally in the 100-foot range. The Kona Coast stands out for its recent lava formations with walls, archways,lava-tubes and abundant marine life. Add to that the expertise of a great variety of Big Island dive companies and the scores of diving spots along the Kona/Kohala Coast, and you'll know why top diving publications and seasoned divers rate the Big Island one of the world's top diving destinations.
In East Hawaii, most diving is done from shore. Lele`iwi Beach in Keaukaha is a good spot for the novice or intermediate diver. Richardson's Ocean Park is a good location for the advanced diver. Although the entry is a protected snorkeling bay, the ocean floor drops quickly to 140 feet.
Some dive companies conduct night dives in locations where giant manta rays are commonly spotted.
- contributions courtesy of 101 Things To Do
|Big Island's Best Dive Spots||Dive with Manta Rays|
|Learn to SNUBA||Safety Tips for Beach and Water|
|Staying Safe when Snorkeling|
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- $565+ Hawaii 3 nights with Air & FREE fullsize Car
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- From $975 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- From $969 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers