Diving the ocean off the Kona/Kohala Coast is a world-class experience. Protected from trade winds by the island's twin mountain masses, the ocean is typically calm, the weather sunny, and visibility generally in the 100-foot range. The Kona Coast stands out for its recent lava formations with walls, archways,lava-tubes and abundant marine life. Add to that the expertise of a great variety of Big Island dive companies and the scores of diving spots along the Kona/Kohala Coast, and you'll know why top diving publications and seasoned divers rate the Big Island one of the world's top diving destinations.
In East Hawaii, most diving is done from shore. Lele`iwi Beach in Keaukaha is a good spot for the novice or intermediate diver. Richardson's Ocean Park is a good location for the advanced diver. Although the entry is a protected snorkeling bay, the ocean floor drops quickly to 140 feet.
Some dive companies conduct night dives in locations where giant manta rays are commonly spotted.
- contributions courtesy of 101 Things To Do
|Big Island's Best Dive Spots||Dive with Manta Rays|
|Learn to SNUBA||Safety Tips for Beach and Water|
|Staying Safe when Snorkeling|
- 50% OFF – 7-Day Maui & Kauai Condo Spring Sale
- $639+ Hawaii Vacations with Air & Car
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- $765+ Hawaii’s Big Island: 3-night vacations with Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental.
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- From $1,139 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers