Diving the ocean off the Kona/Kohala Coast is a world-class experience. Protected from trade winds by the island's twin mountain masses, the ocean is typically calm, the weather sunny, and visibility generally in the 100-foot range. The Kona Coast stands out for its recent lava formations with walls, archways,lava-tubes and abundant marine life. Add to that the expertise of a great variety of Big Island dive companies and the scores of diving spots along the Kona/Kohala Coast, and you'll know why top diving publications and seasoned divers rate the Big Island one of the world's top diving destinations.
In East Hawaii, most diving is done from shore. Lele`iwi Beach in Keaukaha is a good spot for the novice or intermediate diver. Richardson's Ocean Park is a good location for the advanced diver. Although the entry is a protected snorkeling bay, the ocean floor drops quickly to 140 feet.
Some dive companies conduct night dives in locations where giant manta rays are commonly spotted.
- contributions courtesy of 101 Things To Do
|Big Island's Best Dive Spots||Dive with Manta Rays|
|Learn to SNUBA||Safety Tips for Beach and Water|
|Staying Safe when Snorkeling|
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $765+ The Westin Maui Resort & Spa: Includes $100 off, breakfast & more!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Guaranteed cheap car rental rates with national rental companies
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers