Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- $909+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Soar over the Kona coast on a Parasailing adventure.
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- $915+ Big Island Trips: 3 nights w/air. Get a FREE one-category upgrade when you book a Hertz rental.
- To truly experience Hawaii, you must see it from above! Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours from $149
- Take a submarine tour and experience the beauty of Hawaii below the water!
- Snorkel on the Big Island, starting under $38
- $1,369+ Mauna Kea Beach Hotel: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV! PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $125 per night
- 3rd Night Free at Royal Kona Resort
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers