Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Hawaii 3 nights w/ Air – FREE fullsize Car PLUS save up to $100!
- $795+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE fullsize car rental, $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE.
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers