Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- $559+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $615+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- $615+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- Kings Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club - $186
- $759+ Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows: 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental and FREE Wi-Fi PLUS kids 17 & under stay FREE.
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- $789+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental and room upgrade PLUS kids 18 and younger stay FREE!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers