Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Save up to 40% off on Top Hotels in Hawaii at Jetsetter.com!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Free Unlimited Golf in October at Turtle Bay this Golftober.
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Save 25% when you add breakfast and car to your stay with Royal Kona Resort
- $875+ The Fairmont Orchid Hawai'i: 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE.
- $785+ Castle Halii Kai at Waikoloa : 3-night 1 BR Condo with Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS kids 12 and younger stay and eat FREE!
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers