Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- $130 & Up - 350+ Maui & Kauai Condos 35% OFF in March or April
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Lahaina Resort from $179/night
- $1,099+ Hawaii 4-Star Vacations w/Air, Breakfast & Extras
- SAVE Manta Ray Snorkel or World’s Only Glass Bottom Manta Watch @ BlueSeaCruisesInc.com 2 Manta tours
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- $695+ Royal Kona Resort: 3 nights with Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental. PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Courtyard Marriott - Get 20% Off* when you book and pay at least 14 days in advance! Book Early, Save Big.
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers