Luau’s are entertainment fests deeply entrenched in Hawaiian culture. English explorer Captain James Cook came on shore in the middle of a big one when he landed on Hawaii in 1778. The locals mistook the sea captain for a Hawaiian god and welcomed him with open arms. His nextvisit wasn’t as cordial. Capt. Cook, the local crowd had discovered, was not a god. Not only that, but he had offended them. Next thing you know, a skirmish broke out and the explorer was dead.
Moral of the story: Don’t pretend to be a Big Kahuna when you show up for a luau.
Backyard luaus have been part of the culture for centuries. Commercial luaus developed with the tourist trade and have become a major resort attraction. Learn more about luaus and enjoy.
- courtesy of 101 Things To Do
- Hawaii 3 nights w/ Air – FREE fullsize Car PLUS save up to $100!
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- From $955 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - $305
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Aloha Special Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $139 per night
- Stay at the iconic Volcano House Hotel, perched on the rim of Kilauea caldera
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers