Horseback Riding on the Big Island
One of the most popular activities on the Big Island is horseback riding. This is only appropriate given that this tropical paradise is also known for its expansive upcountry ranches, colorful paniolo (cowboys), and has more horses and cattle than any other Hawaiian island. The varied terrain andeye-popping vistas combine to make exploration on horseback a must.
The majority of trail rides exist in the northern part of the island. Waipio Valley is a stunning and popular area, offering rides that take you places no vehicle can go â€” to waterfalls and taro patches, cliff edges and valley floors.
In the Waimea and Kohala areas, riding across the range of a working cattle ranch is a wonderful way to experience the life of a Hawaiian cowboy.
In the South Kona area, several stables take you right down to Kealakekua Bay and the Captain Cook Monument where you can take a break from the trail with a refreshing swim and picnic. On the east side of the island, a few rides are available that combine horseback riding with camping and packing trips.
When shopping for the trail ride best suited for your needs, be sure to ask about required riding experience as well as any age and weight restrictions. Most companies offer amenities, such as snacks or picnics, and usually have both morning and afternoon schedules, complete with historical and cultural narrative.
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - special rates from just $174!
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- 50% OFF – 7-Day Maui & Kauai Condo Spring Sale
- $575+ Hawaii Vacations with Air & Car
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $250/nt
- $815+ Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental. PLUS Kids 17 & under stay FREE!
- Royal Kona Experience Package with luau, dinner cruise, daily breakfast & more! $250/nt.
- $925+ Hilton Waikoloa Village®: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental. PLUS kids 18 and younger stay FREE!
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $205
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $765+ Hawaii’s Big Island: 3-night vacations with Air and FREE Hertz Midsize Rental.
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers