Horseback Riding on the Big Island
One of the most popular activities on the Big Island is horseback riding. This is only appropriate given that this tropical paradise is also known for its expansive upcountry ranches, colorful paniolo (cowboys), and has more horses and cattle than any other Hawaiian island. The varied terrain andeye-popping vistas combine to make exploration on horseback a must.
The majority of trail rides exist in the northern part of the island. Waipio Valley is a stunning and popular area, offering rides that take you places no vehicle can go â€” to waterfalls and taro patches, cliff edges and valley floors.
In the Waimea and Kohala areas, riding across the range of a working cattle ranch is a wonderful way to experience the life of a Hawaiian cowboy.
In the South Kona area, several stables take you right down to Kealakekua Bay and the Captain Cook Monument where you can take a break from the trail with a refreshing swim and picnic. On the east side of the island, a few rides are available that combine horseback riding with camping and packing trips.
When shopping for the trail ride best suited for your needs, be sure to ask about required riding experience as well as any age and weight restrictions. Most companies offer amenities, such as snacks or picnics, and usually have both morning and afternoon schedules, complete with historical and cultural narrative.
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- $559+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- From $985 - 6 Nights Island Hopping: Big Island & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- $615+ Hawaii’s Big Island 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Aloha! Stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii with rates starting at $169 per night!
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Luau, dinner cruise, snorkel and more! Book all your activities in one place
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- $645+ Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay: 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental PLUS Kids 17 & under stay FREE!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers