Recommended Bike Routes
It is along the Big Island's arid Kona Coast that, every October, elite athletes swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run a full marathon to complete the world-famous Ironman Triathlon.
Chances are you're not that ambitious. But the Kona Coast and nearby upland areas offers some not-to-be-missed spots ifyou're inclined to see the countryside from the seat of a mountain bike. Quiet and at times rugged, this landscape offers scenery you will find nowhere else in Hawaii.
We recommend these routes:
- "Pine Trees" (Wawaloli Beach Park, Kona): This coastal ride consists of two separate trails, totaling a little over six miles. Good for beginning to intermediate riders. Seven miles north of Kailua-Kona on Highway 19, turn into the entrance of the Natural Energy Lab and park at Wawaloli Beach.
- 'Upolu Point (Hawi): Six miles round trip, this dirt road eventually leads past both Mo'okini Heiau and the birthplace of Kamehameha I. Good for beginning to advanced riders. Take Highway 250 north from Waimea, turn left at Highway 270, turn right at the 20 marker post (also marked by the sign for 'Upolu Airport). Park at the airport and follow the dirt road along the fenceline.
- Mana Road (Saddle Road, Waimea): This dirt road winds through scenic pasture lands, about 40 miles one way. Suitable for beginning to advanced riders. Go east from Waimea on Highway 19; Mana Road is on the right side of the road, across from the 55-mile marker. NOTE: The elevation ranges from 3,000 to 7,000 feet; be prepared for possible extreme weather, hot or cold.
- Don't leave Hawaii without trying surfing - lessons for all skill levels.
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Dolphin Encounter, Guided Snorkel, and Underwater Scooter Ride with Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- $1,135+ Mauna Kea Beach Hotel: 3 nights w/Air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV! PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Zipline over a waterfall, rainforest, and more!
- Waikoloa Glass-Bottom Boat Cruise - $27!
- $629+ Big Island Trips: 3 nights w/air. Get a FREE one-category upgrade when you book a Hertz rental.
- Get a bird's eye view of Kilauea volcano! Big Island helicopter tours from $196
- Save up to 20% by pre-purchasing breakfast at Royal Kona Resort
- Midsize car rental in Kona from $240/wk
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $785+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- 5th Night FREE at Maui and Kauai condos. Book Now!
- Secluded Maui beach resort, free car, dining credits & more
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and "Jurassic Park Falls" views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!