Find the pineapple and win 5,000 points!
Tip: These gem-like shells can only be found on the beaches of Ni`ihau, located 17 miles off the coast of Kauai.
Top Photo Spots on Oahu
By Lacy Varner
Once in paradise, you’re likely to be overwhelmed with the beauty that greets you around every corner. With so many picturesque scenes, where do you begin?!?!
In the interest of helping you cover all your bases, we’ve compiled a list of what we feel are the Top 10 Photo Spots on Oahu. Some are historical, some are popular, and some are just plain beautiful. With this list, you’re sure to have fantastic photos to show off when you get home!
- Lanikai – The color of the water on the Windward side of Oahu will take your breath away! Just off of Lanikai beach are two small islets called Na Mokulua, or “the Moks,” which means “the two islands” in Hawaiian. Capture a stunning family or landscape shot with these islands in the background.
- Nuuanu Pali Lookout – At the crest of the Pali Highway, you’ll find this magnificent lookout. Featuring panoramic views of Kailua and Kaneohe, this locale also boasts a bloody history and howling winds. Word to the wise, don’t bother fixing your hair for this photo (see second example from my personal archive).
- Top of Diamond Head Trail – This spot won’t be for everyone; the trail is steep, rocky, and involves lots of stairs. But if you can make it to top, your reward is an exquisite view Honolulu.
- Halona Blowhole – This fun spectacle is created by water being forced through a lava tube and into the air. When the wave conditions are right, water can shoot up to 30 feet!
Note: Please be sure to only take pictures from the lookout. The blowhole can be very unpredictable and dangerous. Do NOT climb down to take pictures near it.
- King Kamehameha I Statue – The most well-known statue of King Kamehameha I is located in front of Aliiolani, home to the Hawaii State Supreme Court. This is also directly across the street from Iolani Palace.
- Duke Kahanamoku Statue – Credited as the “father of modern surfing,” and original Waikiki Beach Boy, and goodwill ambassador for Hawaii, Duke Kahanamoku is figure recognized world-wide. His bronze statue stands at Kuhio Beach in Waikiki.
- Makapu’u Lighthouse –With it’s classic red roof, Makapu’u Lighthouse stands proudly on the Eastern-most point of Oahu. The hike to the top is paved, but weather on that side of the island tends to be quite hot, so be sure to take it slow and bring lots of water.
- Iolani Palace – Undeniably one of the most historical sites in Hawaii, Iolani Palace is also the only royal residence in the United States. After taking the tour, be sure to get a shot of the palace with you in the foreground.
- USS Arizona Memorial – Built over the wreckage of the USS Arizona, the USS Arizona Memorial is an extraordinarily poignant and emotional place to visit. But it is certainly not to be missed on a trip to Hawaii.
- National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific – This picturesque cemetery located in the crater of a volcano is the final resting place of over 50,000 US military service members. If you happen to be on island around Memorial Day, the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts decorate each grave with an American Flag and a lei. It’s remarkable sight.
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recommended for You
- From $1,085 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Kauai Vacation w/Air, Hotel, Transfer, Breakfast, & Taxes
- Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk - $289
- From $1,009 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
- Enjoy a Dolphin Duo package for 2 at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Hilton Grand Vacations Suites at Hilton Hawaiian Village - $197
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Kauai 1-Bedroom Castle Condo $175 Thru June 30!
- Dolphin Excursions Snorkel Boat from just $120 including Lunch!
- Big Island Airplane Circle Island Tour Featuring Volcano at $345!
- Big Island Volcano Tours - $40 Off Per Adult Couple!
- Save up to 15% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- Surf the Sky with a State-Of-The-Art Flying Motorcycle!
- Hawaiian Discovery Horseback Rides on Kauai from just $99!
- Experience POWERED Hang Gliding Over Oahu’s North Shore!
- Kids Ride Free - Zipline at Piiholo Ranch Adventures Maui